CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Vegan Pecan-Oatmeal Cookies & Vegan Strawberry-Pecan Oatmeal Cookie Bars

A twist on the average Oatmeal Cookie ... I know what you're thinking ... "VEGAN? Ew!" But I must say that these, for me, are tastier than the average oatmeal cookie. The maple syrup and honey adds an extra sweetness. I have spent quite some time perfecting my recipes, and I can promise you that the next time I make them I'll either add or substitute another element. I love using fresh ingredients, such as the pecans and strawberries. It makes healthy taste a little sweeter.

What You'll Need:

1 cup quick-cook rolled oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup maple sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
1Tblsp. honey
1/2 safflower oil
1/3 cup petite diced fresh strawberries

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, except set strawberries aside.
3. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Using your hands (and yes, they'll get a little gooey), use a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon of cookie dough, rolling into balls. Place the balls on a greased cookie sheet and flatten just a bit. This should take up about half of your cookie dough.
5. Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until cooked to your liking. I leave in only 8 at the most, as I like my cookies a little more on the chewy side. Place cookies on a rack to cool.
6. While first batch of cookies are cooling, fold in strawberries to the remainder of the dough. Once again, use a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon of cookie dough, rolling into balls. Place the balls, this time, into a greased cupcake tray.
7. Bake 9 - 11 minutes or until cooked to your liking. These should be cooked a little longer than cookies, as they will resemble an oatmeal bar. Place cookie bars on a rack to cool.

Bakers Note(s):
*Before going into the oven, I sprinkle a dash of a sugar / cinnamon mixture onto cookie dough. I use Sugar in the Raw and ground cinnamon.
*I keep my Strawberry-Pecan Oatmeal Cookie Bars in the refrigerator and eat for breakfast with some fresh fruit. You can also reheat for a little sweet snack.

These cookies and cookie bars are a healthy, delicious snack that leave you satisfied, yet wanting more. The best part is that since this is a vegan-friendly recipe you can lick the bowl clean!

Vegan Pecan Oatmeal Cookies & Vegan Strawberry-Pecan Oatmeal Cookie Bars

0 comments:

Post a Comment